Sunday, November 19, 2006

The Wrath Of Kidman

Yesterday we were at our friends' house and I saw the most recent People Magazine sitting on the coffee table. Nobody had notified me yet whether I had made this year Sexiest Man Alive list, so I perused the magazine. After once again discovering that the rag's editors have no taste in men, I flipped to one of my favorite parts of People, the letters to the editors.

The letters usually fall into one of two categories. The first, and predominant, group is that of the "you go girl" kind. The second, and far more entertaining are the ones that complain about the kids-glove treatment some celebrities get. This issue's first few letters were about the struggles of country music star Keith Urban, who recently entered rehab, and his wife, mega-celebrity Nicole Kidman. After the usual "we're pulling for you" letters came one that told Kidman to stop playing the victim, both on and off screen.

What made the letter funnier than usual was that the magazine listed the writer as "Name Withheld" from Rancho Mirage, California. I can only conclude one of two things. Either Kidman has a not-yet-publicized vindictiveness that makes her so scary even for a resident of what appears to be a pretty upscale city in the Palm Springs area or Tom Cruise got creative after growing tired of making phony prank calls on the Urban household.

No comments: