Thursday, November 16, 2006

Nordberg Strikes Again

One night in the summer of 1995, my good friend Shanna called me. Shanna and I had gone to college and law school together, albeit on different campuses for undergraduate. Shanna is two years younger than me so she was still in law school after I had already finished my studies there and moved back to Michigan. The conversation went pretty much like this:

S: I am such an idiot!

M: What did you do?

S: As you know, I am taking summer courses. Today, between classes, I was sitting in the student lounge reading. With the O.J. Simpson trial being the only thing apparently happening in the world, that's what the television was showing. I had no interest in it and just tuned it out.

M: Okay.

S: Anyway, some guy, around forty years old dressed in shorts and t-shirt, sits next to me. After a few minutes of him quietly watching the trial, he asked me what I thought of it. I went off on it, saying what a farce it was, how this guy was buying his way out of a murder conviction. He nodded along and walked away. Two minutes late, my friend came over to me and said, "Shanna, what were you and Professor Scheck talking about?"

I tell this story for two reasons. First, it still makes me laugh. Second, Shanna's comments still ring true and very relevant today. With his latest book, "If I Did It," Simpson tells how he would have committed the murders of Nicole Brown and Ronald Goldman if he were the real perpetrator, someone for whom I assume he is still searching.

If I were a horror movie writer or producer, I would cast my next villain as Simpson. Besides being a real life killer, he keeps popping up no matter how many times you've wished him good riddance. You would think that the man would have some modicum of dignity and live the rest of his life in seclusion and well deserved shame. Instead, he feels the need to inflict himself again and again on American society in general and the families of his victims in particular. To make matters worse, the mainstream media gives him the coverage he so craves.

1 comment:

Noahdaddy said...

The next time I eat some of the snacks my wife buys for my kids (an act I commit on a stunningly regular basis) I'm going to say, "I didn't eat them....but if I did eat them, they would have been delicious."