Monday, November 06, 2006

Death Unbecoming

I have always been able to joke about death. Maybe it comes from a grandfather with a great sense of humor who was a pulpit rabbi for fifty years and therefore performed so many funerals and unveilings that he had plenty of funny stories. My work also involves doing a lot of research into dead people. Most of the time, my partners, employees and I have been able to laugh at other people's misery.

That being said, mydeathspace.com strikes even me as overly morbid. You can see the latest articles of people's demise. Since the site seems to be an offshoot of myspace.com, almost all the stories are of teenagers who died not from illness, which would obviously be tragic, but from automobile crashes, homicides, suicides and other violent deaths. You can even search recent deaths by geography by clicking on what appear to be 100 Grim Reapers on a map of the United States. What I must admit to finding funny are the ads on which you can also click, like the one for 100% Free Dating. I wonder if it lists the newly single and mourning significant others.

No comments: