Tuesday, November 07, 2006

Foot In Mouth, Head Up Butt

Disclaimer: I do not watch the Today Show nor did I even know until yesterday that Meredith Vieira has a blog. I only came to this topic while listening yesterday to the excellent Laura Ingraham's radio show, which you can hear locally on 1400 AM. After hearing Ingraham justifiably mock Vieira for what I am about to describe, I did some surfing on Al Gore's invention.

If you read what Today Show host Meredith Vieira wrote on her blog yesterday, you would think she was only somewhat moronic in her interview of actor Russell Crowe:

Russell Crowe was here for an interview and off-camera I said to him “Great to see you again, I interviewed you at The View,” to which he replied “I’ve never been on The View.” I proceeded to insist that indeed he had been on--I even had someone call The View to make sure I was right, and sure enough…I wasn’t.

That was just the half of it. The interview, which you can watch here, was basically the springboard for Crowe to promote his new movie, A Good Year. The interview takes a really weird twist around the 5:00 mark, when Vieira asks Crowe about his infamous phone throwing incident. She asks him if, facing the same situation again, would he throw the phone again, would he do anything differently. Crowe, to his credit, responded by making a joke and asking if she meant did he want to try for two out of three. Vieira, though, thought the question required an answer and asked it again. Crowe remained cool and turned the conversation back to his new film.

Vieira looked like she finally got a clue to how rude and ridiculous her question was when she asked it a third time and then asked if he would throw a phone at her right then and there if there was one available. Crowe is a great actor but I am indifferent about his off-screen life. At the same time, Vieira's questioning was absurd. Did she really expect Crowe to respond, "Yeah, I clocked the guy good and would do it again if I had the chance."?

No comments: