Sunday, February 05, 2006

Super Weekend Off To A Super Start

Lesley and I had a great shabbos. Last week was my father's 70th birthday. I'm still coming to grips with my father being 70. Of course, when we, God willing, have children, even the oldest will be older than my current 35 years of age when I make 70, God willing.

Siblings, nieces, nephew, aunts, uncles and cousins came from Cleveland and New Jersey to celebrate. We had a family dinner of thirty or so on Friday night. Lunch had the same crowd plus a few of my parents' close friends. My mother put together a scrapbook of pictures and memories that the guests submitted. We've always known my father makes friends of amazing variety, both in personality and geography. Yet, it's amazing to see how some of my father's friends go so far back with him. Of his three friends who were his groomsmen at my parents' wedding over 41 years ago, two are still close friends while the other passed away around four years ago.

Besides sharing all of our memories, it was nice to spend time with both sides of our family, which doesn't happen too often. That will change soon as the oldest of my seven nieces and nephews will have her bat mitzvah in a month. It was too bad none of the Schreiber cousins could make it.

To top it all off, I played chess for the first time in at least ten or fifteen years. I even won two of three. I should mention that my opponents were my seven and nine year old nephews.

The only downer of the weekend was attending the funeral of a friend's father. His father was diagnosed with an inoperable brain tumor twenty months ago. The passing came as no surprise but it was still sad.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey what a great site keep up the work its excellent.
»