Sunday, February 26, 2006

Musical Perspectives

I'm a music junky. Our music collection now totals at least 1,500 compact discs, some of which were Lesley's before we met, some of which I would like to disown, like Michael Bolton and Bette Midler. Since we got iPods around two months ago, I have been continuously importing our collection onto our computer. We therefore have a few boxes of discs sitting on our den floor.

This afternoon, Shlomo, our thirteen year old neighbor came to play with our dogs. He is a great kid who has shown tremendous responsibility in dog sitting for us when we travel, which some would say is often. When Shlomo has his bar mitzvah last year and received an MP3 player as a gift, he started listening to his parents' music collection, which I can attest is a solid one. While Shlomo was playing with the dogs this afternoon, he saw the open boxes and asked if he could browse and borrow a few. Always being glad to share my tastes as well my discs if the recipient is responsible in returning them, I said sure. He asked about a few of the discs that he encountered, some of which were from my alltime favorites, including Derek and the Dominoes' "Layla and Other Assorted Love Songs" and the Jayhawks' "Tomorrow the Green Grass". I was jealous of Shlomo in a way because he was just beginning to discover so much great music.

In the course of selecting music, Shlomo asked me about Aerosmith. I told him it's good stuff but that he better run it by his parents first. They're pretty open minded about what they let their kids hear and I like to think that I will be too, but I don't think that I would let my kids (no, we have nothing to announce) listen to a bunch of discs in our collection. As far as I can recall, we only have two that carry the parental warning label, Kid Rock's "Devil Without A Cause" and Eminem's "The Marshall Mathers LP". But there are so many other albums and songs that don't automatically spring to people's minds, like (warning-links lead to offensive lyrics) Billy Joel's "Captain Jack" and Prince's "Darling Nikki".

8 comments:

Noahdaddy said...

So you let your beast of a dog come near a 13-year-old (and easily devourable) kid, but you don't want the same kid hearing the lyrics to a Kid Rock song??? Nice priorities there, Zwick.

The Zwicker said...

Shlomo was eleven when he first voluntarily, with his parents' consent, started playing with Blackjack. As far as I can see, it makes certain supposedly manly people pretty wimpy.

Air Time said...

The kid has nothing to worry about. Black Jack and Black Shifra are hooked on cheese.

Air Time said...

Black Jack is not a dog, its a horse with short legs. I haven't met Black Shifra yet, but I am sure she is more of the same.

The Zwicker said...

Air-If the dogs are dairy eaters, why are you so scared of them while Shlomo is not?

Air Time said...

good cross examination, counselor.

Anonymous said...

Very best site. Keep working. Will return in the near future.
»

Anonymous said...

Super color scheme, I like it! Keep up the good work. Thanks for sharing this wonderful site with us.
»