Friday, October 20, 2006

Uncertain

I'm looking for input. I am frankly unsure as to how to vote on the pending Michigan Civil Rights Initiative. This uncertainty is somewhat new to me. I consider myself pretty well informed on politics. Some, certainly not Noah Daddy and Macabee, may disagree with me on one or more issues, but I don't think it's for lack of my ignorance of the underlying facts and issues.

The Michigan Civil Rights Initiative is different. You can find the language here. To me, despite the accusations of impropriety in obtaining signatures, it would seem like for me a no-brainer to vote for the proposal. After all, I have long felt that a government entity providing preferences in hiring or accepting for matriculation to someone based on their race, national origin or gender is both wrong and unconstitutional. The fact that opposing groups have resorted to hyperbole, conclusory statements and litigation rather than debating specific problems they have with the initiative only bolsters my thinking. On the other hand, conservatives whose opinions I respect have publicly spoken against the initiative. I can certainly think for myself but I also listen to others and make informed decisions.

My problem is that I frankly don't understand why, as a conservative, I should vote against this initiative other than to just follow some people whose opinions I respect, something that I cannot just bear. I hear, more so from those on the left who have much more of a tendency to favor affirmative action, that the initiative is evil and will lead to unintended consequences. Those are merely conclusory statements. I'm looking for verifiable, specific facts that support or downgrade the initiative's face value. Feel free to chime in and maturely discuss the issue.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

For reasons why you might consider voting YES on Proposal 2, see my blog.

Frederick Glaysher
Why Voters Should Approve the Michigan Civil Rights Initiative
http://www.fglaysher.com/MCRI/