Wednesday, October 25, 2006

Come To My Window

The other day while I was getting home for lunch, a representative of a respected, local window company approached me on my front walk. He said that he was in the neighborhood doing work for a neighbor and wanted to know if we needed any new windows. I knew he was full of it since there was no vehicle with his company's markings anywhere nearby. I don't normally buy into those "as luck has it your neighbor trusts us and just hired us" shtick, but I know of this company and it has a good reputation. As luck actually has it, we do need to replace a window or two in the house, so we arranged for a salesperson to come this morning. He said that he would have someone call me this morning to confirm the time.

Someone from the company called me this morning and we agreed on meeting at noon. I must have mentioned to the guy on the street that I was married because the caller asked if my wife would be there. I said that she is away all week but that she trusts me to handle these decisions, which is true. The caller said that they could not meet without the wife present and that we should reschedule.

The only reason I could surmise for the requirement is the stereotype that women always want to spend more money than men and that the wife's presence would therefore boost their sale. All I can tell you is that the plan backfired for me. We have no plans now of using the company.

2 comments:

Just Shu said...

I think its a pretty stupid plan, if you're wife is in Jail, will they let you get new windows or do you have to wait til her sentence is up?

They probably figure that you'll have to discuss it with teh wife anyways, so why waste everyone time, and just do it when you're both there.

The Zwicker said...

What do you mean "if" my wife is in jail? You don't actually buy those stories about her going out of town on business trips, do you?