Monday, July 03, 2006

Nothing Says Independence Day Like A Paternity Action

Today, like just about any other work day, I have been listening to Yahoo Radio for background music. I usually listen to my own station, which plays songs based on the ratings I have given to thousands of songs, artists and albums. In fact, if you ever want to listen to it, it's called Zwickeroo.

I sometimes opt for one of the dozens of stations that Yahoo has. You can choose a particular genre, mood or era. Today being the day before Independence Day, I chose the special July 4 station. I heard the expected fare, starting with John Cougar Mellencamp's "ROCK In The USA". Throughout the next few hours, the station played some good John Phillip Sousa marches, Ray Charles' classic version of "America the Beautiful" and songs from artists like the Beach Boys and Chuck Berry that are as American as they come.

Then came "Billie Jean" by Michael Jackson. I know that most of these songs get into a particular playlist by a computer picking them based on similarities to other songs or artists. I still found this selection hilarious. As just about anyone knows, the song is about a man, ostensibly portrayed by the King of all Freaks, facing a paternity action by a woman with whom he danced. There are many themes and topics that reflect American values. Other than Maury Povich, I cannot think of too many people in this country who find value in a woman accusing a man of being the father of her child. In retrospect, knowing what we know now about Wacko, the song is funny on any day of the year. On July 4, the song is even more absurd.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love your website. It has a lot of great pictures and is very informative.
»