Monday, May 15, 2006

Talking Baseball

Some random thoughts on our national past time:


Last night, after coming home from our shul dinner and talking to Lesley, who is in Louisville for a funeral, my plan was to get to bed early. I couldn't get myself to go to sleep though because I wanted to watch the end of the White Sox-Twins game. I know the season is not even a quarter done and that the Tigers are a young team that has great long term potential but not necessarily staying power for this season. Nevertheless, I cannot help but follow on a daily basis not only our beloved Tigers but their pursuit of the pennant.

As I've previously written about Barry Bonds, I have no love for Mr. Big Head and his potential passing of Henry Aaron as the all time home run leader. Bonds' next swing could vault him past Babe Ruth for number two on the alltime list. Baseball analyst extraordinaire Peter Gammons has thankfully provided some perspective on the matter in an interview on ESPN Radio. I can't find the quote online but Gammons basically said that, in a few years, this will hopefully not be much of an issue. After all, Alex Rodriguez is speeding up the left lane of the record books and Albert Pujols look like he could easily lap them all.

Last week, former pitcher and current baseball announcer Rick Sutcliffe was in Petco Park with comedian Bill Murray to catch the Padres-Cardinals game. The producer for the local broadcast invited the obviously drunk Sutcliffe into the studio. I don't know what the producer was thinking, but he owes someone an apology. Sutcliffe was not there in an official capacity. In fact, it's pretty clear from watching and/or listening to the feed that Sutcliffe lacked most of his capacities. I must admit that when Joe Namath went live on the air that I found it somewhat amusing. For some reason, I just found it painful to listen to Sutcliffe. He is a good announcer and seemingly good man. He clearly didn't know what he was doing and just embarrassed himself and his family. Why nobody stopped him or, even worse, actively invited him to make a fool of himself, is beyond me.

Is it just me or is Kerry Wood always coming off the disabled list, entering the disabled list or spending time on the disabled list?

11 comments:

Noahdaddy said...

I actually feel pretty bad for "Sut". The guy didn't plan on being on the radio that evening, and it showed. Plus, he was frigging hilarious.

The Zwicker said...

You feel pretty bad for him but it was "frigging hilarious"?

Noahdaddy said...

That's why I feel bad for him.

If it wasn't funny, I'd hate the guy.

Air Time said...

I stayed up late too watching the White Sox and rooting for the Twins

Anonymous said...

Your site is on top of my favourites - Great work I like it.
»

Noahdaddy said...

See Zwick? Somebody else loves you. Just click on his link. I'm sure its sex-free!

The Zwicker said...

That's right, Noah Daddy. Just because you thought I was some piece of meat on Sunday night doesn't mean that others can't love me for my inner beauty.

Anonymous said...

Really amazing! Useful information. All the best.
»

Anonymous said...

Hi! Just want to say what a nice site. Bye, see you soon.
»

Anonymous said...

Very pretty design! Keep up the good work. Thanks.
»

Anonymous said...

Keep up the good work. thnx!
»