Tuesday, January 31, 2006

May His Neshama Have An Aliyah

Tonight and tomorrow will be the sixth yahrtzeit of my good friend, Michael Selesny, a"h. For those who didn't have the good fortune of knowing him, Michael and I were very close friends from infancy until Hashem took him from us at age 29. Besides being a great friend, Michael was also a great Jew, husband, father, son, grandson and brother.

Right after his passing, Michael's employer created a virtual condolence page that eventually became a book (since I read it every year on this day, it is one that I mistakenly omitted from the four books I read over and over again when I answered the tag that started this blog). The book is amazing for not only what people had to say but the variety of number of people who posted. Here is what I wrote:

"Being a few months younger, I have had the honor of being close friends with Michael my entire life. I feel so fortunate for all the circumstances that allowed me and Michael to have the close friendship we did from infancy until the untimely end. Not only did Michael and I attend school together from nursery through college, but our friendship went beyond school buildings.

"There are so many aspects of my life that I shared with Michael that I'll never forget-all the Shabbos afternoons spent together with Michael, Donny and Jeff (and sometimes little Joey if we were feeling particularly charitable), the Saturday night sleepovers followed by Abbott & Costello the next morning, shaving cream raids, etc. I could go on and on forever.

"Of all the things about Michael though, the one that stands out about him was his constant ability to see what was right in his life and achieve it. Without ever being arrogant, and actually with an amazing amount of humility, Michael always knew he possessed that something special that allowed him to be on top of every aspect of life, whether it be marriage, fatherhood, religion or occupation. Michael had the vision and ability to achieve anything and everything, without ever compromising. Michael had the marriage and family I can only dream of one day having. At the same time, he gave his all to Hashem as well as the job he loved.

"Michael was as complete a person as I have ever met and led as full a life in a short time as many never will. I have no doubt that the glory of Michael's memory will live on as an inspiration to his entire family as well as those who have had the fortune of knowing him for ever the briefest periods of time."

No comments: